Strand Theatre

Back to the Saenger Theatres

420 West Howard Avenue

Biloxi, Mississippi

   

 

 

The Strand Theatre in Biloxi was owned by local businesswoman Noreta Lopez Yerger, and leased & operated by Saenger Theatres, Inc.

The business arrangement must have worked well: the same was done when the Biloxi Saenger Theatre was built by Mrs. Yerger.

 

 

 

The Strand Theatre closed on January 15, 1929, the day the Biloxi Saenger Theatre was opened.

Mrs. Yerger announced that the Strand building would be remodeled for use as an office building, its facade rebuilt to acheive a continuous front with the neighboring commercial building on Howard Avenue.

 
 

 


Howard Avenue, Biloxi, 2002

 

Howard Avenue & the former Strand building, seventy years & several remodels later.

 

 


Copyright 1999 - 2003, William Hooper.


  Back to the Saenger Theatres  

Next: the Marion Theatre in Clarksdale, Mississippi

 

   

Back to the Saenger Theatres